Hello, ARLIS/NA colleagues!

I'm in search of speakers for a potential session on rights management at next year's ARLIS/NA and VRA Joint Conference in Seattle (March 8-12, 2016). Tentatively titled "What We Talk about When We Talk about Rights Management," the session will consist of 6 to 7 lightning talks intended to foster discussion about rights and reproductions procedures and challenges. As those who work with visual materials know, nothing bedevils both patrons and visual resources professionals like rights management and, when it comes to R&R, “how do you handle XYZ?” is a common refrain among colleagues. It's my hope that this session will help lift the veil on how we approach common issues like licensing agreements, reproduction fees, public domain images, and the like and provide attendees with practical tips for effective rights management.

If you're interested in preparing a lightning talk, please e-mail me your name, affiliation, and a brief description of your experience with rights management by Monday, June 22nd. The session proposal is due Friday, June 26th and decisions on session proposals will go out in the fall. Please note that you don't have to be a member of either organization to present at the conference.

Thanks and I look forward to hearing from you!

Cheers,
Hillary S. Kativa
Archivist for Photographic and Moving Image Collections
Chemical Heritage Foundation