Our current process is to insert acid free book marks labeled with call no. and location at the top (for un-housed items, the top will remain visible above text block and covers for shelving); a brief title is written, and barcode affixed to the bottom.

-          One suggestion was offered that we may consider attaching an RFID tag to the bookmark. Though this may not deter one from walking off with an item, it may compel one to leave the bookmark behind alerting staff that the item is missing. (We chose not incorporate this practice.)

Donor or fund related bookplates have been attached to bookmarks in the past, though I question acidity issues. If possible I will place in an acid free folded sheet, envelope, etc.

Housed items offer many possibilities. I have read that some institutions will build clamshell boxes and insert RFID tags under the tray when gluing to the box case/cover.

-          We box or house as needed or time/supplies are available. I’ve considered adding RFID tags to the housings we provide, but inconsistency with the remainder of the collection deter me from initiating this step.

I am interested in hearing further ideas, practices, or experiences.

Thanks!

Nick

Nick Curotto
Technical Services Librarian
Virginia Museum of Fine Arts

Margaret R. and Robert M. Freeman Library

200 N Boulevard | Richmond | VA | 23220-4007

email | [log in to unmask]

phone | 804 340 5523

www.vmfa.museum