Art Librarian – Archives and Special Collections Hillwood Estate, Museum & Gardens Washington, DC

When the Philadelphia Museum of Art set out on a national search to find their next Director of Library and Archives, the road led them to Hillwood and we couldn’t be more flattered.  Their good fortune can be yours as well.  This has opened the door for  someone ready to take their career to the next level and make their mark growing and enhancing our reputation in the areas of collections management and digital strategies.

Reporting to the Chief Curator, this position carries the title of Head of Archives and Special Collections, a reflection of the key role you will play in advancing and preserving the legacy of our founder Marjorie Post.   More specifically, you will be responsible for management oversight and implementation of strategic initiatives for the art research library and digital collections as well as the archives, which include significant holdings of architectural plans, manuscripts, monographs, oral histories, films, photographs and transparencies

We seek a contemporary thinker with fresh ideas and an enthusiasm for the impact that new technologies can have on providing broad access not just preservation. You’ll be grounded in the fundamentals of library management, underpinned with an MLS from an ALA-accredited school.  Knowledge of 18th and 19th century French and Russian arts, with an emphasis on decorative arts along with a working knowledge of Russian and/or French languages would be ideal, but not mandatory.

We are a progressive, equal opportunity employer and all candidates are encouraged to apply.   So, come work “Where Fabulous Lives!”    You will find detailed information related to responsibilities and requirements along with instructions on how to submit your cover letter and resume under the “Jobs & volunteering” tab on our website: www.hillwoodmuseum.org