Because that's the name she went by after she left the order. And her last name had been Kent, not Corita.

Best wishes,
Janine Henri

Sent from my iPhone

On Jun 17, 2015, at 2:09 PM, "Rebecca Kohn" <[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>> wrote:

Greetings collective mind!

In scheming how to get myself to Pasadena before November to see the Sister Corita Kent show that opened this week:  <http://pmcaonline.org/exhibitions/someday-is-now-the-art-of-corita-kent/> http://pmcaonline.org/exhibitions/someday-is-now-the-art-of-corita-kent/

I realized that I might have to content myself with some art books until that time, but in hopping into my catalog and then WorldCAT I find a puzzlement:

As an author and a subject, the artist is simply listed as:

Corita, 1918-1986.

Even subdivided:  Corita 1918 1986 Criticism And Interpretation

Does anyone know the reason she is listed this way in the authority files?  Guessing it is related to the name she took, Mary Corita, when she joined the order, but then why isn't it Corita, Mary?  And wondering if there are any other artists who are only listed with one name as an entry point?

Best regards,

Rebecca

Rebecca Kohn
Associate Librarian, San Jose State University Library
Liaison to Art and Art History, Design, and Philosophy

<http://libguides.sjsu.edu/artdesignresources>http://libguides.sjsu.edu/artdesignresources
<http://libguides.sjsu.edu/philosophy>http://libguides.sjsu.edu/philosophy

408.808.2007

Mail submissions to <mailto:[log in to unmask]> [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> For information about joining ARLIS/NA see: <http://www.arlisna.org/membership/join-arlisna> http://www.arlisna.org/membership/join-arlisna Send administrative matters (file requests, subscription requests, etc) to <mailto:[log in to unmask]> [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> ARLIS-L Archives and subscription maintenance: <http://lsv.arlisna.org> http://lsv.arlisna.org Questions may be addressed to list owner (Judy Dyki) at: <mailto:[log in to unmask]> [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>