Hi Jennifer, et al.,

[responding to the big ARLIS list instead of just the Academic Division]

Aahhh...., "weeding." One of the worst terms ever devised for one of the most important aspects of collection maintenance. There are no weeds in the corpus. Just a few faded roses where the scent still lingers...

Since we began a systematic, title by title (in hand) selection process in June 2006 for relegating material to our off-site retrieval facility, the Art & Architecture Library at Stanford has sent:
55,977 monographic and serial volumes
10,217 auction catalogs
  1,228 "Locked Stack" volumes (are either in enclosures or "bullet proof" and go to a special category in our retrieval facility - such volumes are non-circulating and can only be retrieved to this Library or Special Collections for in-house use only)
67,422 TOTAL VOLUMES

As you so correctly indicate, context for selection is everything. So creating a sort of laundry list of considerations is actually, I think, an excellent way to provide guidance to our peers. Each of us must let our specific pressures (acquisitions per year, linear feet available, staffing time and institutional commitment to support in-depth analysis, etc.) and contexts (art school, heavy graduate art history program, museum research library, etc.), our constituencies, and so on inform our selection process.

Good luck to us. We will all be working with large physical collections for decades (my opinion). Just yesterday I flipped through a book of an emerging photographer's work. Via an e-book. Appears to be fine work. But it was a horribly dismal viewing experience. I ordered a hard copy.

All best,
Peter