Hello all!

Recently I have gone through our periodicals to both do some weeding, and clean up the catalog here at the Georgia O’Keeffe Museum Library. Currently we have about 40 titles that we keep on the shelves, about 20 of which we still actively get. Most of our titles have several years back worth of issues. Currently our access policies are fairly reserved. The public has access by appointment, and all items are in-library use. For our staff and volunteers, we do loan them materials, however our periodicals are for In-Library use only to everyone.

As I move forward with finishing this collection up, I am thinking about how we might adapt our procedures moving forward. Previously, we were using “check-in” cards. While I know that value of these items is useful in large collections with varying access policies, I am wondering if they are still needed with such a discrete set of materials whose access is restricted to in-library use only. Does anyone on the listserv have words of wisdom or has anyone on here dealt with a similarly size periodical collection? I’d love to get feedback on what is being done in other libraries.

Related to this, I am wondering about how many years of a title we should be keeping on the shelves, especially with so many titles accessible via resources like Jstor. Currently, most of our patrons get their articles via the web – and rarely utilize our physical journals. Additionally, our space is fairly limited – and while we are not at full capacity as of yet, it is fast approaching. Would anyone be willing to share their Best Practices for approaching how they manage their periodicals? Or methods that they have found useful in approaching these questions?

Mackenzie Salisbury

Librarian

Georgia O’Keeffe Museum

217 Johnson St., Santa Fe, NM  87501