The Picture Collection at Rhode Island School of Design is an important
component of the library’s non-text visual resource collections. It is half
a million clippings in size and is actively developed and weeded, supported
by a full-time staff member and numerous student assistants. It is housed
in an attractive space in the library, which also includes nearly 20,000
mounted reproductions and a large postcard collection. While its usage has
decreased in the past half dozen years, it nevertheless performs a critical
function by allowing students to explore visual artists, locations, or
subjects in conceptual and physical ways that Google cannot replicate: the
collection has been curated over the past half century from print sources
that may never be digitized, offering a richness of depth that the Internet
often cannot; it also allows students to create spatial collage-like
displays of images that, again, cannot be replicated online. The Picture
Collection is supported by faculty members who understand the value of this
type of collection and include Picture Collection image research as part of
their curriculum assignments.

Best,

Mark

--
*MARK POMPELIA*
Visual + Material Resource Librarian

*Art Libraries Society of North America*
Treasurer, 2014-16
Materials Special Interest Group: material|resource
<http://t.signauxsept.com/e1t/c/5/f18dQhb0S7lC8dDMPbW2n0x6l2B9nMJN7t5XX4QJSG8VfDfq62zGyt4W4WYmcW56dzy6f6xqdFn02?t=http%3A%2F%2Fmaterialresource.wordpress.com%2F&si=4840407952261120&pi=29f2803e-e89e-4538-c13c-862afecf773d>