It’s with a heavy heart that I share some unfortunate news with my colleagues in ARLIS/NA. The Harrington College of Design, which is owned by the Career Education Corporation, announced last week that it will close in 2018 after 84 years of educating design professionals in Chicago. The institution has seen enrollment decline and revenue lag in recent years. Harrington has reached an agreement with Columbia College Chicago, a local private non-profit, regionally accredited school with a substantial design program. Pending accreditor approval, this agreement affords Bachelor’s degree students the opportunity to transfer and complete their programs of student at Columbia, while Master’s and Associate degree students will continue their enrollment with Harrington, but within the Columbia College environment. The plan would become effective following the summer term ending in August 2015.

The disposition of the Harrington Library is undecided as yet. I will continue to serve our students here until the end of August. I feel fortunate to have worked with the dedicated faculty and students at Harrington for the past five years!

Leigh Gates

Director of Library Services

Harrington College of Design

200 W. Madison St.

Chicago, IL 60606

312.697.8021 P

312.697.3318 Front Desk

www.harrington.edu

"There is no such thing as information overload—only bad design." Edward Tufte