It is with great pleasure that I announce that Tony White has been appointed to the newly created position of Associate Chief Librarian for Reader Services.  Tony is an accomplished librarian and scholar currently serving as the Director of the Decker Library at the Maryland Institute College of Art in Baltimore.  He was chosen after an extensive search and will assume his new post on May 11th.

Tony will come to the Met with over twenty years of experience in art librarianship.  He holds an M.L.S. from Indiana University, Bloomington, as well as an M.F.A. in Print Media and Book Arts from the Art Institute of Chicago.  He has served as  Art and Architecture Librarian and then as Director of Reader Services at Pratt Institute; as Director, Specialization in Art Librarianship, at the Graduate School of Library and Information Science at Indiana University, Bloomington; and as Head of the Fine Arts Library at Indiana University, Bloomington.

Throughout these experiences, Tony has been an advocate for research education and library programming. He has championed both the preservation of and access to print collections, and he has embraced and has a solid grounding in emerging technologies.  He has strong experience with space and collections management and fundraising, and has demonstrated his leadership in the field of library sciences as an educator, conference organizer, and through his involvement in a broad range of professional activities.  He currently serves as the chair of the Maryland Digital Library management group, as vice president/president elect of the Congress of Academic Library Directors of Maryland, and is co-project manager of an information literacy pilot among five art and design colleges to develop a new model of delivery for information literacy instruction.

Tony has a history of scholarship in book arts including curating exhibitions of artists' books, publishing extensively on the subject (most recently "The Evolution of Artists' Publishing," in the Fall 2014 Art Documentation), and he is a regular speaker at symposia and conferences.  His knowledge of special collections will be invaluable to Watson Library as we continually expand this dimension of library activity, and his expertise in the field of artists' books and his aptitude for working collaboratively will help to develop guidelines for collecting in this important area.

As Associate Chief Librarian, Tony will join the library's core management group, alongside Associate Chief Librarian Daniel Starr.  This new position will oversee all of reader services in Watson Library, Nolen Library, the Cloisters Library and Archives, and the Irene Lewisohn Costume Library, and will work to develop creative and effective approaches to reference and access.  Tony will be central to developing and delivering innovative and effective library services, among many other responsibilities, and we look forward to his fresh perspectives and the experience that he brings.

I hope you will join me in congratulating Tony.  His background has exceptional range and depth, and his knowledge of art libraries and leadership experience make him uniquely suited to the position of Associate Chief Librarian.  We look forward to welcoming him to Watson Library.

Ken

Kenneth Soehner
Arthur K. Watson Chief Librarian
Thomas J. Watson Library