Although we have not yet examined the issues associated with the type of
"picture files" that started this thread, the Visual Resources Association
currently has a Slide and Transitional Media Task Force (see
http://vraweb.org/about/appointees/)
considering mostly 35mm slide collections and how best to evaluate, retain,
or deaccession such materials. The first set of recommendations are
available here:
http://vraweb.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/VRA_Guidelines_EvaluationRetentionDeaccessioning35mmSlideColls-_2014.pdf
We hope to have more resources available soon.

If you have any questions, ideas, or suggestions about things that would be
useful to you, please don't hesitate to contact the new Chairperson of this
group, Jacob Esselstrom at the University of Wisconsin
[log in to unmask] (Jenni
Rodda at NYU/Institute of Fine Arts served as Chair the first year and
continues as a task force member) or I would also be happy to answer
questions or field suggestions.

Best regards,
Maureen

Maureen Burns, Ed.D.