Dear Arlisans,

We still have copies of our *The Architect's Library* bibliography/catalog,
free to art library collections, in case you weren't able sign up for one
in Ft. Worth (reply to this email with a mailing address).  It is a
beautifully designed and heavily illustrated book, and one of its benefits
we hope is that it might stimulate similar library collection excavation
projects at other institutions.  My Library Cafe interview with Nicholas
Adams about that project/exhibit gives the best account of our methodology:
http://library-cafe.blogspot.com/2014/02/nicholas-adams.html.

Those of you interested in the development and reception of modern
architecture in interwar Europe may also want to know about my interview
with Nick on his recent book on Asplund's Gothenburg law court extension:
http://library-cafe.org.   In the coming weeks I will be also talking on *The
Library Cafe* to curators about two current Frances Lehman Loeb Art Center
exhibitions, one on daguerreotypes (this Wednesday) and one on Buddhist
pilgrimage art. Later this month I will also be talking with Tobias
Armborst, principal at Interboro Partners, about the place of design
thinking in undergraduate education and Interboro's role in the post-Sandy
Long Island shoreline remediation project.   Lastly I will be inteviewing
Stephen Eisenman about his book *Cry of Nature: Art and the Making of
Animal Rights* (Reaktion) in May.

And, coming back around to law courts, Laurence McGilvery's account of his
1962 arrest and trial for obscenity for selling a copy of Tropic of Cancer
to an undercover San Diego police officer posing as a student is a
must-listen if you haven't done already (also on the site).  For those of
you who don't know Larry, it gives you a reason why you should get to know
him, and for those who already do--well it is quintessential Larry, and a
remarkable (and remarkably funny) story in the annals of quiet heroism and
cultural progress.

And finally, friends of the late Rosemary Furtak may like to know these are
the last days of an exhibit curated in my library by one of our art majors
at Vassar, Grace Sparapani, of artists' books by women artists drawn from
Rosemary's personal collection.    A write-up on the exhibit can be found
on our library blog here:
http://pages.vassar.edu/library/2015/04/misbehaving-artists-books-by-women-artists-in-the-art-library/
 The
show features as its centerpiece a work by Rosemary herself, illustrated in
the post.

Best,

Thomas

--