Dear Students,  (please post this announcement to your school's listserv - thank you)

Pratt Institute, School of Information and Library Science is still accepting students for its summer programs in Florence and London - so, if you or your students are  interested in studying libraries, museums, archives and publishing in these two great cultural centers,  we invite you to apply for summer 2015, below you will find detailed information below.

We encourage you to join us for Pratt-SILS summer programs in London with Kings College and in Florence with SACI (Studio Art Centers International) - these exciting 3-credit courses will enrich your graduate studies as you learn from leading English and Italian information academics and practitioners.

Both programs give students new learning experiences and perspectives in the information professions in ways central to LIS curriculum while taking place in an international setting - a key factor to understanding today's global information field.  For the London program in partnership with Kings College London, Department of Digital Humanities, students not only learn about the leading English publishers, such as Oxford University Press  Bloomsbury  Sage and Elsevier - they have sessions at these publishing houses and learn from the staff about what publishers are working on, the challenges they face, how they are meeting the new demands of the digital world and what this means for libraries, museums and archives.

Students spend a day at the British Library with lectures from the digital collections department and the BL's lead librarians of special collections and projects. We also visit the National Art Library at the Victoria and Albert Museum, the Bodleian Library and the Ashmolean Museum during our day in Oxford.  We visit Proquest in Cambridge probably the largest academic publisher in the world, and enjoy presentations on their projects and new products with lively discussion, and as well visit Cambridge University. The program provides lunch in Oxford and Cambridge at historic pubs and a final dinner in London.

Class meetings, lectures, visits, the Strand Symposium 2015 (Symposium 2014) and other activities are Monday to Friday.  Weekends are free and students plan their activities including museum visits, theatre (the National Theatre has 10 pound tickets in the summer) and of course - shopping!

The London course, E-Publishing and Digital Scholarship is taught by Prof. Anthony Watkinson  and Prof. Stuart Dunn - collaborating with them, I work with students on their London course projects.

Thus, we welcome you to join the London program and or Florence program - Both programs apply to key LIS areas of study  such as the art and museum libraries, digital Cultural heritage concentration, digital publishing and scholarship and digital humanities. Digital scholarship and the publishing world is at the heart of much of what public and research libraries, museums and archives are concerned with today - so, these programs will add significantly to your knowledge and understanding of the field.

Don't miss out on these exciting opportunities!
We invite you to apply now to secure your place in 2015 SILS study abroad programs and advance your studies at SILS.

Here follows detailed information on Florence and London:

2015 Pratt SILS-SACI Florence Summer Program (2 courses; 6 credits)

* May 25-June 19, 2015
* in partnership with Studio Art Centers International (SACI) (http://saci-florence.edu/) -
Below - entrance to SACI - entering an exciting world of learning and culture.
* students will have the opportunity to study with leading Italian
conservators in conservation studios
* the program features visits to great Florentine museums and libraries,
as well as day and weekend trips to nearby cities such as Lucca, Siena and
Bologna.
For more information:
https://www.pratt.edu/academics/information-and-library-sciences/international-programs/florence-summer-program/

2015 Pratt SILS-King's College E-Publishing Program (1 course; 3 credits)

* June 22-July 3, 2015
* in partnership with King's College Department of Digital Humanities
(http://www.kcl.ac.uk/artshums/depts/ddh/index.aspx)
* provide students with the special opportunity to study with recognized
leaders in information science research and in e-publishing
* participate in the Strand Symposium on digital scholarship and
e-publishing (June 26, 2015)
* the program also features day trips to Oxford and Cambridge, visits to
the British and the Bodleian Libraries, as well as various London
publishers
For more information:
http://www.pratt.edu/academics/information_and_library_sciences/international_programs/london_summer_program/
* Information session: Tuesday, February 17; PMC 610; 5:15-5:45pm

Please contact Dean Giannini ([log in to unmask]) or
Quinn Lai, Advisor for Academic Programs ([log in to unmask]) if you have any questions.

Tula Giannini, PhD, MLS, MM
Dean and Professor
Pratt Institute
School of Information & Library Science