Good Afternoon Folks,

Please forgive the cross-posting as I am writing to gain information from the collective wisdom of my colleagues regarding how you house and protect dvds in your library collections.  We currently use Alpha dvd security cases from American Theft Prevention LLC which are very expensive, frequently moreso than the actual dvds themselves so I am wondering if it is worthwhile in the long-term to continue to house them this way or to just let them sit on the shelf in their cases and replace as needed.

Our media collection does comprise about 12% of the overall total circulation of the University Libraries largely due to our dvd collection yet this year we are seeing a decrease in dvd use as more and more students are asking for streaming and using Amazon and Netflix.

Last, the dvd security cases also take up a lot of shelf space.  Please reply to me off list.  I am happy to collate the response and send a summary to the lists.

Many thanks in advance.

Aimée

Aimée C. Quinn

Manager, Library Operations

Fine Arts & Design Library

College of University Libraries & Learning Sciences (UL&LS)

1 University of New Mexico

MSC 05 3020

Albuquerque, NM 87131