This Saturday, March 21st at 5pm is the Social Media Facilitated Discussion in room Sundance 6 of the conference hotel. That means it’s time for the social media reading list for your airport terminal boredom. Looking at social media headlines from the past year, I didn’t find a lot of new platforms. It’s not that there’s nothing, if you’ve been successful we would love to hear how you’ve leveraged a new application in your library. But I want to move past the channel and closer to creative engagement. Figuring out how to be social instead of just doing social media and what makes all this stuff work. With that in mind, I’ve collected a few interesting clickable reads that are on/off topic:

Dark Matter of the Internet – This was my favorite thing written in the last year about museum work and how it functions in a digital age. It’s a bit long but it’s totally worth a first or second read.

https://medium.com/@mpedson/dark-matter-a6c7430d84d1

Top Twitter Hashtags for Librarians – This is an interesting run down of hashtags for discussion on twitter. An interesting topic, when considering hacking trending tags for your own work.

http://hacklibraryschool.com/2014/05/27/hashtags/

38 Surprising Facts About Trust in Social Media – I dislike lists as much as the next person, but when our museum’s Digital Communications Manager recommended this to me, I clicked through. At times this is illuminating and at times it is completely frustrating.

http://barnraisersllc.com/2013/09/surprising-facts-trust-social-media

Finally, Demographics of Key Social Networking Platforms is a useful insight into who is using what.

http://www.pewinternet.org/2015/01/09/demographics-of-key-social-networking-platforms-2/

Following the Social Media Rodeo, I will be standing outside the conference room with a handful of bright blue Ingalls Library pencils. I can’t be the only person that collects library pencils, though it is entirely possible that I am. If you do or would like to, I’ll trade you. In closing, here is a link to the American Pencil Collectors Society, an organization to which I have just now decided to become a member.

http://www.pencilcollector.org/

Matthew Gengler
Head, Access Services
Ingalls Library