Dear Colleagues,

Hello! I am the Visual Resources Curator at the University of Georgia and this is a reminder to take my survey “Transforming Visual Resources Centers in the 21st Century.” This survey is being sent via the VRA and ARLIS/NA listservs, so please excuse any cross-listing.

This survey is the basis of my Capstone project in the MLIS program at Valdosta State University. I first became interested in the concept of libraries as space in my first semester of library school and especially so now that I'm brainstorming how to revamp my own VRC. Visual resources is an ever-evolving branch of librarianship and we all have our own unique challenges and institutional needs and solutions. As we have shifted from slide librarians to maintaining online image collections and databases, the functionality of our space has shifted. Do visual resources centers even need a space, or can visual resources professionals perform scanning, digitizing, and metadata in offices? If a space is necessary, what does it look like and what kinds of services and resources should it offer? I ask you to share information about your visual resources library as space so that I can identify emerging trends as well as gather ideas about redesigning VRCs to reflect our roles as visual resources professionals in the 21st century.

I understand that those of you who perform visual resources tasks may not have your own space (i.e. you work in a fine arts library or general academic library) or that you only perform VR tasks as part of a larger role in your library. Those circumstances are equally as informative and I welcome you to take this survey. The survey has 13 required questions, with optional supplementary questions included, and takes approximately 10 minutes to complete.

This survey is anonymous, but the results will be shared with the ARLIS/NA and VRA listservs. No one, including the researcher, will be able to associate your responses with your identity. Your participation is voluntary. The survey is available via Google Forms here. The survey will close on Friday, March 20.

Please feel free to contact me at [log in to unmask] if you have any questions.

Sincerely,

Courtney Baron

Courtney Baron
Visual Resources Curator