Dear colleagues,

Resulting from an important bequest, I am in possession of few duplicates of some very valuable artists’ books.  I am working with curatorial and our Collections Committee on a proposal to deaccession the copies in poorer condition and maintaining only one copy of each of these editions.  Library and museum ethics dictates that proceeds from any sales resulting from such deaccessions can only be used for acquisitions of like material.  If any of you have written policies you could share outlining this in the particular case of artists’ books or Special Collections material, I would be most appreciative, as I would like to make the case that any such proceeds would only go to equivalently important artists’ books, or short of that Special Collections materials; I do not want this interpreted so broadly as to cover regular acquistions.

Many thanks for your help in advance!

Best,

Eric

Eric M. Wolf