Hi Ruth (and ARLIS),

Your post made me want to know what is going on with their rationale with color vs. b&w, too!  I’m the reference dept. art editor and don’t work with journals, but I emailed that team to see what was going on.  It seemed odd to me that the current publications would forego color.

I reached out to the journals manager and explained that people have noticed black and white images in recent OAJ issues.  I asked, “Have we started doing B&W-only print due to cost?  Is this permanent?”

She told me that OAJ hasn’t ever been full color – rather, they've always printed selected images in color when requested by authors.  But, she continued: “That said – the journal moved to full colour this year! This would be even more exciting if the first issue of 2015 wasn’t a special issue on black and white art (I’m not even joking!), so I suppose readers can expect to see the full effect of this change from 38:2 onwards, although technically it came into effect in 38:1… Anyway, hopefully this will be good news.”

Thus, there should be full color going forward!  This would also explain the inconsistency of color vs. b&w images over the years.  I thought this bit about the ironically timed b&w art issue was kind of a hoot, so I wanted to pass it along in full.

Good wishes,
Alodie