Date:    Fri, 20 Mar 2015 17:39:39 -0400

From:    Carole Ann Fabian <[log in to unmask]>

Subject: ARLIS/NA Leadership Program & Institute

On behalf of the Board, I am very pleased to announce the initiation of the ARLIS/NA Leadership Program and Institute!

As a volunteer organization we depend on the contribution of our members to achieve the Society's goals. We have a robust organization replete with Division, Sections, SIGs, Committees, task forces and working groups, etc..

ALL of them need effective leadership to succeed in achieving their charges. We are a Society with opportunities and potential for such leadership at every level of the organization.

For some years, we have given informal mentorship to members serving in ARLIS/NA groups. Sometimes that has served us well, and other times it has fallen short in both transferring knowledge and promoting effective action.

We have also evolved a number of building blocks for leadership training, but these haven't been formulated into a Society-wide program. Together with my colleagues on the Board, we decided to more formally develop an ARLIS/NA Leadership Program to cultivate and nurture the leaders of our organization, and to help them more effectively fulfill their leadership role. The ARLIS/NA Leadership Program includes some existing components -- such as the annual Leadership Breakfast, Board orientation training sessions -- and adds to them some new elements including: the Liaison-to-Liaison Webinar, and the ARLIS/NA Leadership Institute which will be inaugurated here at the Fort Worth Conference.

The ARLIS/NA Leadership Institute is intended to explore the qualities of effective leadership, give practical guidance on communication and management skills, and inspire our leaders to contribute to the Society's productivity and growth.

We have invited a select set of ARLIS/NA leaders to participate in this year's Institute, they include the incoming Executive Board, members of the Strategic Planning Committee, and ARLIS/NA Committee Chairs. We will convene on Monday afternoon for a 4-hour session focused on leadership characteristics, impacts of our actions, and communications strategies. Our Institute facilitator will be Frank Martinelli, who will work with us on strategic and generative thinking.

I am confident that this year's Institute will be a valuable experience for all, and hope that the ARLIS/NA Leadership Program will attract more members to Society service in year's to come.

We hope that this leadership opportunity will be meaningful to members not only in the execution of their service to ARLIS/NA, but that it will also provide valuable tools for increased success in their professional practices.

During the Fort Worth conference, please take advantage of our open-meetings policy to become involved in the activities of the Society, and maybe you too will become an ARLIS/NA leader and part of the leadership cohort next year!

Many thanks to everyone involved in mentoring leadership across the organization, but especially to Sarah Falls (Education Liaison) and Kristen Regina (VP/President-Elect) for helping me develop and initiate the ARLIS/NA Leadership Program and Institute.

Wishing everyone a successful, enriching and enjoyable conference!

All best,

Carole Ann Fabian

President, ARLIS/NA