Dear Colleagues,

Please join the Urban & Regional Planning Special Interest Group Meeting at ARLIS in Fort Worth. It will be held on Saturday, March 21 from 1:30-2:30 pm in Sundance 3 at the conference hotel. Click here to add the event to your schedule.

We don’t have a set agenda, but we’ll likely be discussing new resources related to the discipline and initiatives that we can plan as a group. Any topics you bring to the discussion are welcome.

I also want to promote a panel that grew from our SIG and is this year’s Postcards from the Edge event. Entitled “I Didn’t Know Urban Planning Was About…” a planning educator, two professional planners from the City of Fort Worth, and an anthropologist-turned-geospatial librarian will lead us through the wide-ranging academic and professional terrain of urban planning. Although not native to arts librarianship, planning is often co-located with design programs in schools or colleges dedicated to the built environment. More than a few architecture librarians carry additional responsibility for urban and regional planning and urban design, which necessarily include transportation, sustainability, resource management, housing, social justice, municipal order, policy and public affairs, historic preservation, urban agriculture, and more. Together the group will explore the challenge of meeting the multi-faceted and interdisciplinary needs of the planning community. We will explore GIS within the urban and regional planning context both in academic settings as well as with planning professionals and educators.

The panel will take place on Sunday, March 22 from 3:15-4:30 pm in Sundance 4 at the conference hotel. To read the participants’ biographies and add the event to your schedule, please click here.

Our session will be the culmination of an afternoon devoted to geographic data. At 1:00 pm, there will be a panel on “Place-Based Discovery” (http://arlisna2015.sched.org/event/689a769037daf884dcd27978091aa127#.VPibLbHF2x0) and at 2:15 pm, there will be a panel on “Data & Geospatial Research Support for Architecture” (http://arlisna2015.sched.org/event/689a769037daf884dcd27978091aa127#.VPibLbHF2x0).

I look forward to seeing you in Fort Worth. Travel safely!

Marsha

Marsha Taichman

Visual Resources & Public Services Librarian

304B Rand Hall // Fine Arts Library

Cornell University

Ithaca, NY 14853

(607) 255-6718