Likewise, the Textile Museum's curators produced an extensive thesaurus some time back--contact their Arthur Jenkins Library, http://museum.gwu.edu/library.

Kathy Edwards
Clemson University

From: ARLIS/NA List [[log in to unmask]] on behalf of Joan Benedetti [[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Friday, February 20, 2015 2:20 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [ARLIS-L] Rug vs Carpet

Try the Getty’s Art and Architecture Thesaurus.  Here is the link: http://www.getty.edu/research/tools/vocabularies/aat/

Joan

From: ARLIS/NA List [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Emily Walz
Sent: Friday, February 20, 2015 9:38 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [ARLIS-L] Rug vs Carpet

Dear Collective Wisdom,

Is there a good decorative arts dictionary/glossary-type resource out there?

I'm cataloging a book about Moroccan carpets and I'm wondering if "rugs" would be an appropriate subject heading to add to the record in addition to "Carpets -- Morocco". The book only uses the word "carpet", but I'm thinking that since the two words are often used interchangeably that it might be a good idea to put in "rugs" as well. LC Authorities makes little to no distinguishable difference between the two, and I can't find any resource that does.

Do any of you know of any resource(s) that might shed some light on this?

Thanks very much in advance,

Emily

Emily Walz

Adjunct Faculty Cataloger

Knowledge Access and Resource Services
20 Cooper Square, 3rd Floor
Division of Libraries, New York University