Greetings, ARLIS,

One of our patrons was recently advised that it is permissible to include tracings of other illustrations in a master’s thesis, and to submit a thesis with these traced illustrations for electronic publication through ProQuest. The illustrations that the patron would be tracing are drawings of architectural interiors, and floor plans. He plans to simplify the adapted drawings before including them in his thesis. This is not a concept that I am familiar with, and to me it seems like a stretch!

The best information I could find on the matter was from the Michigan Tech copyright website, which advises that “Significant modifications result in a figure that is uniquely yours. The source of the inspiration or base of the figure must be acknowledged in your caption. To clarify the source and figure creator, we recommend a credit line in your caption similar to, ‘Figure adapted by author from SOURCE.’ where SOURCE would be replaced with an appropriate citation. If the figure is just a tracing of the original figure, or does not contain a significant amount of creativity, you have not created it, and must ask for permission.”

I would love to hear from you if you’d be able to give us the bottom line on the matter.

Many thanks!

Emily

Emily Guthrie

NEH Librarian, Printed Book & Periodical Collection

Winterthur Museum, Garden & Library

PH: 302.888.4630

Connect with us: