Dear collective wisdom,

A religious studies professor is teaching a course entitled "Empire and Apocalypse."  One of the assignments involves discussing a work of apocalyptic art.  He has selected a small group that includes:

·         Hieronymus Bosch, "St. John on Patmos"

·         William Blake, "The Whore of Babylon"

·         Albrecht Dürer, "The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse"

·         Trier Apocalypse

·         El Greco, "The Opening of the Fifth Seal"

Since art history is neither the subject nor specialty for this professor or his students, he is trying to find an introductory text (6-10 pages) to each of these works.  Most sources we have found so far have very brief descriptions although I have been able to find potential articles or book sections for a couple of them.  What I am wondering is if anyone has suggestions for specific resources we should consult.

Thank you,
mar

Martha González Palacios  |  Art & Architecture Librarian | 541.346.8785 | Architecture & Allied Arts Library<http://library.uoregon.edu/aaa> | University of Oregon<http://uoregon.edu/>
Follow us: facebook<https://www.facebook.com/AAALibrary>  |  Instagram<http://instagram.com/uoaaalib/>  |  twitter<https://twitter.com/uoaaalib>  |  @uoaaalib