Dear Collective Wisdom,

I am hoping to gain insights from other libraries about the policies and/or approaches you take to collection development decisions when receiving large donations of books.

We are a small undergraduate library that has managed to develop a somewhat unique collection of art books over the years because of a sizable donation in this area.  We recently received another large donation that was given in conjunction with an art gift to the campus museum.  While it is fantastic to be receiving such a great ready-made collection of research materials to support this art, we would also like to be thoughtful about what we ultimately add to the library because of our size and focus as an undergraduate institution.

If anyone has gone through a similar decision-making process and would be willing to share your experiences or any policies you have, I would be most grateful.

Thanks you,
Jessica Hronchek

Research and Instruction
Performing and Visual Arts Librarian