Hello all.

A couple of weeks ago I posted on the list seeking input regarding how your
library distributes self-serve information like subject and database
guides. I received five replies and thought I'd summarize their feedback
for the list as a whole. Obviously what works for one institution might not
work for another, due to differences of size, resources, staffing, users,
etc. Nonetheless, it's always interesting to see how others deal with a
common problem. And if you have additional insights or observations, don't
hesitate to let me know.

Library #1: Used to have a display of handouts but found they were not
used. Now, relevant handouts are given out directly to classes or at the
circulation desk.

Library #2: Has a self-serve kiosk of printed guides and finds that enough
users make use of them to maintain them and keep them stocked.

Library #3: Only uses LibGuides, which they use to craft subject guides.
Small paper key tags with the URL of the pertinent guide are handed out to
users.

Library #4: Only creates online subject or course guides, on an as-needed
basis, for which they use WordPress. These are linked to from the main
library site.

Library #5: All their guides are online on their website, where they can
use analytics and see which ones are most popular. The ones that are most
used get printed and are often handed out by staff.

A couple of interesting things I took away from this were (1) the ability
to use web analytics on online material to gauge use, and (2) having small,
simple handouts (such as a key tag or bookmark) directing users to web
resources--this takes up less real estate, is less imposing, and is easier
to implement than extensive printed guides.

Best,
Nick.

Nick Anapliotis
Reference Intern