An Affirmation of Artistic Freedom in Response to the Charlie Hebdo Tragedy

In solidarity with our French colleagues, and caricaturists, cartoonists, and other artists throughout the world who hold an uncompromising mirror up to the foibles and failings of humanity, the Art Libraries Section of IFLA expresses deep sorrow at the murderous attack yesterday on the staff of the satirical weekly Charlie Hebdo. We affirm that "Everyone has the right to freedom of opinion and expression; [and that] this right includes freedom to hold opinions without interference and to seek, receive and impart information and ideas through any media and regardless of frontiers" (The Universal Declaration of Human Rights, Article 19).

IFLA Art Libraries Section Standing Committee
January 8, 2015

Sandra Ludig Brooke
Librarian, Marquand Library of Art and Archaeology
Princeton University
Princeton NJ 08544
609-258-5860
Chair, IFLA Art Libraries Section Standing Committee
International Federation of Library Associations and Institutions