Hi Everyone,

I am new to ARLIS and would love to hear from any of you regarding the next step I should take on my journey towards Art Librarianship.

I have a BA in Religious Studies and in May I will graduate with my MLIS degree.  I have four years of experience in academic libraries (technical services and cataloging), but no real scholarly or work experience in art or art history, other than a few art history seminar courses during my undergraduate studies.  Also, my only experience with museums has been a summer internship in museum studies during my undergrad.

While trying to decide what the best route for me would be, I have been looking at a one-year MA program at Georgetown in Art and Museum Studies, though I believe this is more of a practical/professional degree than a scholarly one (I may be wrong). I wonder though if it would it be in my best interest to pursue an MA in Art History instead, that would include more scholarly research experience.

From your experiences working in the field of Art and Art Museum Librarianship, do any of you think that the program at Georgetown would be a good option?  Or, do most employers prefer for you to have more scholarly research experience in Art History? Also, would a degree in Museum Studies be helpful or redundant since I will have my MLIS?

What would be the best next step for me as an aspiring Art/Art Museum Librarian?

Thank you in advance and I look forward to hearing from any of you!

Leslie