ATTENTION MUSEUM ARCHIVISTS AND MUSEUM PROFESSIONALS:

Please see the message below, which I am forwarding on behalf of the SAA Museum Archives Section’s Standards and Best Practices Working Group.

Please excuse cross-posting.

Hello, all,

The SAA Museum Archives Section’s Standards and Best Practices Working Group is issuing a call to museum archivists for personal narrative essays that demonstrate the importance of museum archivists and museum archives. These essays will help us collectively articulate our roles within our institutions, local communities, and the professional archives field. We hope you will commit to writing an essay.

These essays can address any or all of the following questions:

·       What is a museum archivist?

·       What is the significance of museum archives?

·       Why does a museum need an archives?

·       If you’re a museum without an archives, what is the argument for why you should have an archives?

·       Why is it important to have a professional archivist at a museum?

·       Is a museum archivist/archives different from other types ofarchivists/archives?

·       Has the role of a museum archivist changed due to born-digital records?

·       Where do museum archivists fall in the organizational chart? Where does/should the archives fit in an organizational hierarchy or structure?

Essays should be between 250 and 1,000 words.

The essays will be compiled and published on the Museum Archives Section microsite.

Please email your commitment to writing a personal essay to Rachel Chatalbash, MAS S&BP Working Group Co-Chair, at [log in to unmask] by December 1st. Essays are not due until March 1st. Working Group members will work with you to edit your essays and prepare them for online publication.

Thank you very much for your participation!

Best,

The Museum Archives Section Standards and Best Practices Working Group

Dawn Sueoka

Assistant Archivist, Shangri La

Doris Duke Foundation for Islamic Art

4055 Papu Circle