Hello All.

Apologies for duplication as I am posting this to several lists.

Our library is conducting a trial and evaluation of Kanopy – one of the more recent additions to the educational/institutional film streaming market. It operates on a PDA (patron driven acquisitions) model.

We’ve had a mixed reaction to the trial from our faculty and also librarians. For those of you that have subscribed and established a deposit account, I’d appreciate your feedback (and feel free to share with the list if you wish)

We are a small college library, so going beyond our deposit fee might be a concern.

Various questions continue to dominate our feedback

1) reliability of the streaming technology when being shown to a group

2) curated lists and finding mechanisms are very basic

3) content is heavy on documentaries, less valuable for what faculty seem to want their students to view (e.g. for cinema studies, international film, American film, etc.)

However, others think the variety is sufficient, that the playlists and film clips feature are useful, and the ability to browse a lot of titles without having to “subscribe” is appealing.

Can others share their experiences?

Margaret D. Ericson|Scholarly Resources and Services -- Arts Librarian|Bixler Art and Music Library|Colby College Libraries|5662 Mayflower Hill|Waterville, Maine 04901|

(207) 859-5662