We weeded and moved our reference collection earlier this year. We did a preliminary study where we asked people not to reshelve the ref books they had consulted during a six week period, so that we could mark them with a dot. We found that usage during this time was less than 2% of the books in the collection, supporting our theory that these books were getting very little use.

We then established a committee that set guidelines for weeding the collection, and all subject librarians reviewed their own areas. We ended up with these approximate percentages:

Withdrawals: 18%
Moved to circulating collection: 23%
Stayed in reference: 54%

These percentages covered titles, rather than volumes. The books that remained in reference were moved from our reference area, which has become a study space, up to the second floor, to an out of the way space, where I expect they will get even less use.

We have been replacing print reference sources with online versions whenever possible. Even though I'm a staunch defender of print, I do believe that online versions of reference sources are much more convenient and get more use than the print ones ever will.

Karen Bouchard
Brown University