Hello everyone,

Here at the Canadian Centre for Architecture we have accepting, revising and also, to some extent, creating bib and authority in RDA. The technical services team has been doing this without officially implementing RDA, or going through formal training. Each cataloguer has been "self-training" as they go along, and because we have limits to what each of us know, we are still adding AACR2 and hybrid records to our online catalogue. As the amount of derived records we are receiving from OCLC in RDA format is increasing at an exponential rate, our team has come to the conclusion we have to make the "switch" officially.

My college and I have been tasked with drafting a RDA implementation document, with a goal of “Day one for RDA” sometime in the summer of 2015. Our document needs to address staffing hours; implications for the public catalogue,on technical services (cataloguing and acquisitions), reference staff, IT, and researchers; timeline; a training curriculum for cataloguers, IT, reference staff, and internal researchers (since our library resources are used for developing exhibitions and publications); existing RDA training resources; and the decisions we have to make (ex. what are our core RDA fields, will we machine convert existing AACR2 records to RDA, what fields to display in the public catalogue).

I know that many of the larger library systems, particularly academic libraries implemented RDA starting earlier in 2012 and 2013. Would anyone be willing to share their library's RDA implementation plan, or any other materials you used for planning? It would be especially helpful if we could find examples from peer museum institutions, or art school libraries who have smaller staff contingents, and collect special materials. I've not been find anything in the LIS literature about RDA implementation in special, architecture, art, or museum libraries.

Thank you so much! Please email me off-list at [log in to unmask]

Effie Patelos

Catalogueur

Cataloguer

Centre Canadien d’Architecture