Greetings!

I was helping a student research Victor Horta's influence on architecture and in going through some images of other art nouveau buildings we stumbled upon the spectacular Gran Hotel Ciudad de Mexico, originally a mercantile center building between 1895 to 1899 but converted to a hotel in 1968.  From the images we've found online, it is a stunning structure.  We've mostly come across tourist/travel sites that report it has having been built by an Army engineer named David Garza under supervision of Frenchman Sebastian Roberts, with glass by Jacques Gruber (source:  http://allmyfriendstravel.com/gran-hotel-ciudad-de-mexico/)

​We found one book on the architectural history of Mexico City that seems like it would address this era:  Mexico City : historic center by Galindo (México, D.F. : Ediciones Nueva Guía : Telmex, 2002, ©1997.) but would be very happy to receive your recommendations.  ​

​I found this very useful site about this Jacques Gruber but haven't determined if a catalogue accompanied this exhibition:

http://www.claudinecolin.com/en/archives-653-jacques-gruber-and-art-nouveau-a-decorative-path

I have searched Art Full Text but I don't have access to the Avery.  Any recommendations for sources you can provide on the building or its architects/designers would be greatly appreciated!

And if you haven't seen images of this amazing building and are in need of some Art Nouveau eye candy, treat yourself to this site:  http://www.granhoteldelaciudaddemexico.com.mx/photo-en.html

Field trip, anyone?

Many thanks,

Rebecca

Rebecca Kohn
Associate Librarian, San Jose State University Library
Liaison to Art and Art History, Design, and Philosophy

http://libguides.sjsu.edu/artdesignresources
http://libguides.sjsu.edu/philosophy

408.808.2007

California Libraries Association's 116th Annual Conference November 2014 #CLABeTheChange