ARLIS/NA Multimedia & Technology Reviews Co-editors are seeking volunteers to author reviews for the December 2014 issue of the Society’s newest online publication. ARLIS/NA Multimedia & Technology Reviews connects readers with new technologies and the multimedia landscape. Reviews will target projects, products, events, and issues within the broad realm of multimedia and technology related to arts scholarship, research, and librarianship.

To volunteer, choose your review topic from the list below and complete our review form by Friday, October 17, 2014.

Contributing to ARLIS/NA Multimedia & Technology Reviews is a great opportunity to get involved with the Society, learn about interesting new resources, and help shape the publication. Please feel free to read the complete review guidelines and direct comments and questions about the reviews to [log in to unmask].

Submitted by ARLIS/NA Multimedia & Technology Reviews Co-editors:

Hannah Bennett

Emilee Mathews

Elizabeth Schaub

Topics for Review

We seek reviewers for the following resources. The snippets are taken from the resource’s web page and are not necessarily the opinions of the M&T Reviews Co-Editors. The sections in italics denote considerations for access to the resource, or prompts that the co-editors will want the potential reviewer to focus on when reviewing the resource.

The editors of the M&T Reviews are happy to answer questions about any of these selections so feel free to contact them ([log in to unmask]). The submission deadline for reviews is Friday, November 7, 2014.

List of resources to be reviewed for December 2014 publication:

  1. Classicizing Chicago

http://www.classicizingchicago.northwestern.edu/

“This site includes three searchable datasets (Architecture, Theater, Education), a coordinated image bank and interpretive essays and research notes.“

  1. Get your Sh*t together - software for artists

http://www.gyst-ink.com/software/

“GYSTPro is a database program that helps artists keep track of their careers, cataloging artwork, sales, proposals, mailing lists, etc. It also includes tons of information about every business issue an artist needs to know.”

*please note: reviewer will need to set up a trial for access*

  1. Haiku Deck

https://www.haikudeck.com/

We’ve built Haiku Deck around presentation tips recommended by experts and designers. KEEP IT SIMPLE by limiting your text and focusing each slide on a single idea. MAKE IT BEAUTIFUL by building your story around high-impact images and keeping your formatting consistent. And, most of all, HAVE FUN. Fun is not a word most people associate with presentations, but we feel they should be fun to make and fun to listen to.

  1. Library as Incubator

http://www.libraryasincubatorproject.org/

“The Library as Incubator Project was created by Erinn Batykefer, Laura Damon-Moore, and Christina Jones, and was inspired by a discussion about creative advocacy for libraries in one of their courses at the UW-Madison School of Library and Information Studies.The Project highlights the ways that libraries and artists can work together, and works to strengthen these partnerships. At a time in which both libraries and arts organizations are often having to do more with less, it makes sense for these two parts of our culture to support each other. The Library as Incubator Project calls attention to one of the many reasons libraries are important to our communities and our culture, and provides a dynamic online forum for sharing ideas.”

  1. MOMA app

http://www.moma.org/explore/mobile/iphoneapp

“With the MoMA App, you can take The Museum of Modern Art wherever you go. The MoMA App is available for iOS devices, and features:

-Tours: Hear from a wide range of artists, curators, and others about works in the collection and many special exhibitions.

-My Collections: Create collections of your favorite media, images, and artworks”.

*please note: reviewer will need to download the free app on an iPhone with iOS 7.0 or later.*

  1. Monet: Paintings and Drawings at the Art Institute of Chicago and Renoir: Paintings and Drawings at the Art Institute of Chicago

http://www.artic.edu/research/digital-publications/online-scholarly-catalogues/?&utm_medium=listserv&utm_source=arlis&utm_campaign=osci&utm_content=8-13-14

“The volumes feature forty-seven works by Monet and twenty-five works by Renoir. Entries on the paintings and drawings include new art historical research and unprecedented high-resolution imaging that allows readers to zoom in to see the artist’s brushstrokes, as well as previously unpublished technical photography that unveils information hidden beneath the surface of the artwork through interactive, layered images showing X-ray, infrared, and other technical imaging. Conservation reports on each artwork offer in-depth studies of the artist’s process and incorporate new scientific data on his materials. Other features include a glossary, scanned archival materials, and biographical information about significant historical collectors for the museum.”

  1. Sketchup Make or Sketchup Pro

http://sketchup.com

“There’s a reason SketchUp is synonymous with friendly and forgiving 3D modeling software: we don’t sacrifice usability for the sake of functionality.”

*please note: reviewer will need a school affiliation to download Sketchup Make (the light version). Let us know if you/your school already have a license to Sketchup Pro*