Hi everyone,

One thing that's important to bear in mind is that the provenance
information listed in auction catalogs (which is the source of artnet's
data) very often contains errors and omissions. When I'm asked by an
auction house to confirm provenance data based on our archives, the
information and corrections I provide are often ignored. The people
cataloging these works are very rarely trained researchers or scholars.

Without seeing the actual documentation upon which claims of past ownership
are based, I take everything listed in auction catalogs with a grain of
salt!

-Laura

--
Laura Morris