As I’ve occasionally suggested before, books and periodicals (not always on the net) are crucial to such research.

For example, the superb massive book, Civic Art: A Centennial History of the U.S. Commission of Fine Arts, Thomas Luebke, editor (2013), includes a superb essay on the Jefferson Memorial, with 9 color reproductions from John Russell Pope’s designs and renderings.
Since most memorials were not buildings per se, site plans and renderings were what were submitted for these various competitions and commissions.

Two other major sources would be Architectural Record for the early years of the 20th century on into the thirties, and Pencil Points from the 1920s and 1930s, both of which showcased plans and renderings in addition to photos of new and important buildings and memorials by American architects.  The latter was especially sympathetic to architects’ drawings as evidenced by its mere title.  And of course one should consult the monographs on these architects (Pope, Henry Bacon, and others).

    We still need to refer to our various libraries’ vast book resources for intricate and detailed research, and the bookless library so recently touted unashamedly by the Press is simply an encouragement to students to avoid the responsibility (and pleasures) or original research and discovery.

Raymond Smith
R.W. Smith Bookseller
New Haven

I have a student looking for the architectural drawings (detailed plans) of various memorials in DC, ie, Lincoln, Jefferson, etc.

I have checked the HABS search engine on the LOC – but come up with photographs, rather than plans.

Would greatly appreciate any suggestions on who might have detailed architectural plans for these memorials

Much thanks

Marlene A. Koenig

Librarian

WAAC – Virginia Tech