In response to my original question (see end of message) I had several requests to share the replies (more requests than replies, actually!).  Although few, the information was helpful, for which I am so grateful!  We are awaiting a proposal from a firm in L.A. that does digitizing of files. They were recommended to us by our IT Director who deals with them for our regular multi-function copy machines. The have a digitizing division. (If anyone needs the name, contact me.) They came and reviewed the job and asked questions etc.  One question: could they take apart any small booklets. (Answer: no). Also at issue was whether/how to handle larger formats, such as posters as that takes extra handling—different scanner.  We’re musing on that.  The company is geared toward volume and anything that requires special handling adds cost.  We plan to box up the files and keep the originals off-site somewhere.  (Not clear yet how we handle ongoing additions, but that should be fairly easy problem to solve.)

Here are the three replies received:

  1. You may want to start with Lyrasis. they have a network of partners that they work with to handle all sorts of digitization programs. their prices aren't bad, but it depends on how much material there is and the condition it's in. If you contact me off list I can send you more information […..].

I always keep the originals. If something happens to the digital files you need to have the original. You can just close off the collection and only use the digital surrogates.

If you can get a decent scanner you can just scan the new additions yourself to help keep costs down.

To provide access you can go with a lot of different methods. You can purchase an institutional repository program like ContentDM or Digital Commons. There's a lot of options that run from free open source to very expensive hosted options. You can also go the totally free route and use FLickr or even something as simple as google drive. it really depends on the needs of your users, institutional policy, and available funds.

Copyright and privacy are big issues. If it's copyrighted materials you need to make sure you are following the laws. If there are people pictured you will need to find out what the policy is on that. Most of the time it's fine, but some people don't want their images online. You'll have to see what the policy is on that.

Before you start a project like this you may want to map out the process and identify any areas that need to have decisions made before you start that way you can avoid any issues down the line.

  1. Our policy here at the __________ has been to catalog small items often found in vertical files in other art libraries. MoMA, the Tate, often the Met also have this policy. Our museum published Directions brochures [6 p.] with an essay, checklist, brief bio and we think they are important information on young artists. Also in earlier times galleries had less money, so a small brochure may be the only record of their exhibition that is important for provenance research. Invitations remain in our files. Of course, the _______Cataloging Department has a large backlog for our branch, some 8000 items, so most preliminary records are not on Worldcat yet but can be found on ________________. Our curators find the Worldcat records for small catalogs extremely important for their research. Scanning would be expensive and provide no indexing, but it has been suggested for ______(organization_____ vertical files too.

  1. Are there any items there that might be protected under copyright?  If you want to host them and make them accessible on a database that might be an issue.

 _____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Original question posted August 15, 2014 to ARLIS/NA and SAA museum section:

We need help.  We have about fifteen 4-drawer file cabinets full of ephemera files on individual artists and others relevant to our museum.  Currently they are filed alphabetically by the individual’s surname in individual envelopes. We would like to have them digitized, and are searching for the best solution.  Have any of you completed such a project?

Issues of concern are:

          What companies are best qualified for this?

          What should be done with the originals that have been digitized?

          How do you handle ongoing additions to the files?

          What way do you organize/store/provide access to them?

          Any other issues we may not be aware of?

The wisdom of your experience would be greatly appreciated.  If you are glad to share information but find a phone call an easier way, we’d be glad to call you (“we” being an associate who has been asked by our Assistant Director to pursue this).

Best regards to all of you out there!

Heather Brodhead

Librarian

Constance & George Fearing Library