This question is cross posted to a couple of list. Apologies for duplication.

This question pertains to those of you out there who have implemented Summon 2.0, and particularly the Database Recommender. Others can delete if they choose. (FYI, the Database Recommender feature is not the profile of databases for general searching..it is an add on that guides users to databases in a post-search scenario..i.e. for more information use…)

Our Systems coordinator is profiling our Summon 2.0 features, specifically the Database Recommender. She has provided our librarians with a “default” list of databases some of which include streaming music (e.g. Music Online, Naxos)  and image databases (e.g. Artstor), and has asked us to indicate what databases we wish to turn on for this feature. The feature has been known to have relevancy issues, and seems to function best with “community tags” which are supposed to better match searches with relevant databases.

First, what has been your experience with the Database Recommender.

Second, have you opted to be very selective or very inclusive in adding databases to the Database Recommender. My feeling is that including the streaming music and image databases would not be a good strategy for those doing conventional print based research, but maybe I’m wrong…maybe the point of doing Summon searches is to mash all these things together. I’m also thinking it would be best to  limit the choices first, see how the relevance feature is working, then add more later.

Advice welcome, and send directly to me at the contact information below

Margaret D. Ericson|Scholarly Resources and Services -- Arts Librarian|Bixler Art and Music Library|Colby College Libraries|5662 Mayflower Hill|Waterville, Maine 04901|

(207) 859-5662