Two generous people suggested this answer to my inquiry:

John Gast's "The Spirit of Manifest Destiny" aka "American Progress", and they provided links for more information.

Perhaps this is as much as we might come up with.  Thanks everyone!

Heather B.

From: Brodhead, Heather
Sent: Wednesday, July 30, 2014 10:14 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Cc: Brodhead, Heather
Subject: Question re. a 19th c. painting tradition

Dear CW,

One of our staff members asked me a question for her research (which actually relates to early Canadian landscape photography).  She read in two articles about 19th century painters depicting indigenous peoples of North America (could be Canada or US?) “vanishing into the western sea” or other symbolic references to the devastating effect on them by the western expansion of European culture.  There were no specific citations or references to this painting tradition, and she would like to find more information.

I am stymied.  Are any of you familiar with this 19th century painting subject and any resources for further reading?

Heather Brodhead

Librarian

Constance & George Fearing Library

Santa Barbara Museum of Art                www.sbma.net