Hi,

Last week I asked if anyone was using an ILS they liked, because I am looking into a new system for our library.

I received many emails asking me to share the responses, because they are looking for a new ILS also.

Here are the findings so far. If anyone else out there has an ILS they would recommend, I would be happy to add it to the list.

EOS - 1

“I felt was very well scaled to our needs.” (a small art school library)

Oasis (hosted by Mandarin) - 1

“It is affordable, very flexible and their tech support is outstanding.” (small museum library)

Library World – 1

“It is very simple, cheap and user friendly. It does not have a controlled vocabulary, or much support for RDA. But copy cataloging is a breeze and the inclusion of covers helps the students to recognize textbooks.” (college library)

Koha –  5

“which we love . . . Because it is an open system, it changes with the users and is constantly improving.” (foundation library)

“We . . . have been able to make it work for us.  It does have some issues here and there (what system doesn't) but we are pretty pleased with it.” (college library)

“We just moved to KOHA which is OK...we're still getting used to it...but what we LOVE is our vendor, ByWater Solutions. If you decide to go with Koha, you cannot go wrong with ByWater.” (museum library)

“We are using Koha and it was customized and built for us by ByWater Solutions. They are fabulous to work with and have done systems for special libraries and collections. I highly recommend them.” (corporate library)

“I’ve just finished migrating my small library to a Koha system hosted by ByWater Solutions – “just” meaning this past Monday. I’ve worked with a lot of other ILS’s in the past (Voyager, SIRSI Unicorn and Symphony, III Millennium, Destiny, Horizon, and Polaris). If you ask solely on the functionality of the system which I liked best, Koha would be about middle of the list. But if I look at system functionality combined with size of bill, it’s the right choice for us here. That said, I wouldn’t go to Koha – even a hosted Koha – unless you are unafraid of taking on some systems administration work yourself.” (museum library)

Thank you for your input!

Mary

Mary Richardson
Library Director
Museum of Contemporary Art Chicago
220 East Chicago Avenue
Chicago, IL 60611
312.397.4080
312.397.4099 fax
www.mcachicago.org

Isa Genzken: Retrospective is on view through August 3

David Bowie Is opening at the MCA September 23!