I am forwarding this call for papers.
Deborah Kempe

-------- Original message --------
From: Doralynn Pines
Date:07/14/2014 4:39 PM (GMT-05:00)
To: "Kempe, Deborah"
Subject: Fwd: CFP: Digital Art History (NORDIK, Reykjavik, 13-16 May 15)

From: Harald Klinke <[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>>
Date: Jul 14, 2014

Reykjavik, Iceland - NORDIK 2015. Mapping Uncharted Territories, The
11th Triannual Nordik Committee for Art History Conference, May
13 - 16, 2015
Deadline: Sep 25, 2014

NORDIK 2015, session:

Digital Art History – a new frontier in research

Art History is at the brink of new ways of accessing its material and
gaining unprecedented insights. While we are still using image
databases that resemble slide libraries, Information Science has to
offer multiple advanced approaches to images, such as content based
search and classification that will become important tools for art
historical research. Big Image Data will enable us to master the
content of huge collections by making use of intelligent algorithms and
visualising their results. What requirements does Art History have
towards Information Technology? What projects do exist that can serve
as best practice? Which direction does Art History go from here?

While we teach our students to amass a collection of artworks in their
minds in order to recognise, compare and judge art, computers are able
to store, make available and analyse more images than any human could
see in a lifetime. The computer is increasingly able not only to search
across meta data, but to derive information from the image itself, like
colour information, similarities, entropy or content information. The
computer is increasingly able to not only deal with pixels, but to
virtually see what is on them. Moreover, computers can help to classify
image, e.g. into epochs and artists.

The so called Digital Humanities investigate the potential of the use
of Information Technology (IT) in the humanities. Sciences that are
dealing with images, like Art History, are slowly catching up. Still,
the prototype of a department of art history has had two repositories
of knowledge: the library and the slide library. The slide library has
now been digitalised in databases of images with their respective meta
data. But still they mimic slide libraries in structure, i.e. we can
find what we already know. We have not yet raised its digital treasure
to find what we do not know already. But Art History is at the brink of
entirely new methods by means of IT. Soon we will have tools in our
hands that will revolutionise our discipline.

Papers should consider questions such as:
- Which advanced digital tools are suitable for image search in Art
History?
- What does Big Data mean for Art History?
- How to visualise Big Image Data?
- What are the future challenges for computer vision in the service of
Art History?
- What are the requirements for a rich image format that serves
research in art?
- How can we learn from experiences in museums?
- What are concepts for an international IT infrastructure for Art
History?
- What are interdisciplinary approaches that can serve as best practice?
- If the computer is increasingly intelligent, what is the role of the
researcher and his relations to the tool being used?
- If the computer is the new medium in research and teaching, how does
that change the methods we are using and does that have precursors in
the history of our discipline?
- If Art History is about to experience fundamental change, what has to
be the guiding line to develop digital tools that serve our scientific
objectives?

This Call for Papers is for a session as part of the NORDIK 2015 —
Mapping Uncharted Territories – The 11th Triannual Nordik Committee for
Art History Conference, 13-16 May 2015, Reykjavik, Iceland.

We invite paper proposals. Please submit a 1–2 page abstract, brief
c.v. (two pages max.), and full contact information by September 25,
2014. Please direct your communication both to the chair of the session
(Dr. Harald Klinke, [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>) and to the conference
organisers at: [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>

SESSION ORGANIZER:
Dr. Harald Klinke, Kunstgeschichtliches Seminar, Universität Göttingen

For more information on the session and the conference with 22 sessions
spanning a wide range of topics visit: http://t.co/N4sTJa6Rvn

Reference / Quellennachweis:
CFP: Digital Art History (NORDIK, Reykjavik, 13-16 May 15). In:
H-ArtHist, Jul 14, 2014. <http://arthist.net/archive/8206>.

H-ARTHIST
Humanities-Net Discussion List for Art History
E-Mail-Liste für Kunstgeschichte im H-Net

Editorial Board Contact Address / Fragen an die Redaktion:

Submit contributions to / Beiträge bitte an: