Hi ARLIS/NA colleagues,

Here's my promised recap of using Kickstarter for the acquisition of
library materials.

I heard from only two other colleagues who had used Kickstarter to purchase
library materials.  One was a museum librarian describing how they were
able to purchase items offered by artists relevant to their collections or
exhibitions.  The artists were known to the museum.  The other was an
academic librarian and her main comment was to be aware of the need for
original cataloging of the item as it is often a very low publication run
and somewhat unique in that regard.

My own experience:  I did get permission from my collections manager to
pursue this purchase.  Though they (*The Docent Educator Online*) were only
half-way to their goal just days before the deadline, they made it!  So, as
a contributing partner, we'll receive a print version of the newsletter and
know that we were instrumental in their effort to provide the newsletter
online (we'll all have free access to that).

As a collection development tool, Kickstarter remains to be viewed with
caution here.  Our current policy is that the decision to participate or
not in any particular campaign has to be made by our  Associate University
Librarian for Collections, not by an individual selector.  Aside from the
somewhat risky nature of Kickstarter, I think their concern is that
sometimes there may be a (real or perceived) political aspect (meant in the
broadest sense) to the campaign.

best,
Rebecca

--
Rebecca Price
Architecture, Urban Planning & Visual Resources Librarian