From: Traditional Architecture Listserv List <[log in to unmask]> on behalf of Niall Murphyniallgi <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Friday, May 23, 2014 6:46 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Glasgow School of Art is on Fire

The statement says 70% of the contents have been saved. It's the 30% I worry about because I fear it is the library.

It can't possibly have survived. You could see through the windows that it was well ablaze and there is still smoke coming out of the library windows though the fire fighters were angling in jets of water from the roof of the Bourdon Building opposite so as to dowse it when the fire was at its height.

The fact that the roof above is gone is critical because the library structure was suspended from the roof trusses.

The structure is unusual in that the lecture theatre sits at the base of the west wing two floors below the library. For obvious reasons the lecture theatre has to be column free so the loadings for the library had to be transferred back up to roof level. The wooden columns that you see in photographs of the library actually just conceal the iron or steel hangers (I'd need to check). From recollection it was the floor above the library were the Mackintosh archive was held. I suspect the entire structure will have collapsed in upon itself when the elaborate roof trusses went.

I know that there was a conservator and archival programme to record as much of Mackintosh's output as possible so items were being digitized. I'm not sure how advanced that was though.

It is great news that no lives were lost and so much has been saved - a testament to the firefighters - but I suspect they are putting a brave face on it - the library is irreplaceable. It was the culmination of Mackintosh's achievement and the most profound space in the building. It is a major loss.