Dear Artist Files SIG and those interested in the SIG ARLIS/NA-wide,

The Artist Files SIG, co-coordinator Sally McKay (Getty Research Institute), had to cancel her attendance at this year’s conference for personal reasons and we decided not to meet. Though we are not meeting we thought it was important to touch base and give everyone an update.

We’re continuing to work on the Archive-it project and getting our website hosted by ARLIS/NA. The minutes from last year’s meeting are available on ARLIS/ NA’s website: http://arlisna.org/images/conferences/2013/sig_artist.pdf

Over the summer the Pilot Project Team conducted another crawl with our collection.  The changes to the websites were significant and not surprisingly illustrated the importance of web-archiving.

With what we’ve learned from the pilot project the team has decided to curate a new collection; one that will be more closely curated and will provide a usable prototype for possible funders and future collaborators to review.  We will be curating the new collection this Spring/Summer following the annual conference.

After the new collection has been formed we’ll want your input and help getting the project to the next level -- a sustainable open artist file; or, to determine whether or not that this pilot project was a foray into archiving the web, a way to get our feet wet using a web-archiving product and which will hopefully advocate for more web archiving by art institutions, libraries, galleries and artists –all so we can secure the artist files of the future.

Over the past year the Artist Files SIG online Directory http://www.artistfilesrevealed.com/tiki/tiki-index.php was somehow corrupted and no additional records were added during that time. The website has remained up but the records are not viewable by patrons at this time.

We are working on getting the Directory hosted by ARLIS/NA headquarters (HQ); and they are checking to see if someone they know can rebuild the directory in PHP. If HQ hosts the site and it is rebuilt in PHP an update to a later version will not be necessary.

If you’d like to assist with either rebuilding the site in PHP or working on the Archive-it project please contact us. We look forward to a meeting at next year’s conference.

Best regards,

Samantha Deutch and Sally McKay
ARLIS/NA, Artist Files SIG, Co-coordinators

Samantha Deutch, MLIS, Assistant Director
Center for the History of Collecting
The Frick Collection & Frick Art Reference Library
10 East 71st Street
New York, New York 10021
PH: (212) 547-6894
Fax: 212.547.0680
[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]><mailto:[log in to unmask]>

Sally McKay
Head of Special Collections Services
Research Library
Getty Research Institute
1200 Getty Center Drive, Suite 1100
Los Angeles, CA 90049-1688
tel. (310) 440-7489
[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]><mailto:[log in to unmask]>

and/or privileged material. Any review, retransmission,
dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action in
reliance upon, this information by persons or entities other
than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you received this
in error, please contact the sender and delete the material
from any computer.