Although at Boulder we still support Refworks and Endnote, we are moving more and more to Zotero and Mendeley, both of which are free. Our library is currently considering cancelling our refworks subscription.

Personally I feel that Zotero is the best choice for arts & humanities disciplines. Zotero can support by far the most types of sources (including: scores, recordings, images, archival materials, websites etc). It’s open source nature means that it is constantly improving and doesn’t lock users in. Zotero I also find is the best for harvesting citation information from databases, catalogs, and the web. Mendeley is in my opinion best used if you rely almost entirely on PDF’s. I teach Zotero regularly, especially to our grad students.

And that’s my elevator pitch for Zotero. I’m happy to answer any Zotero questions!

-Alex

Alexander Watkins

Assistant Professor / Art & Architecture Librarian

University of Colorado Boulder