Hello All.

I've been asked to summarize responses to my post about reevaluation of
citation management software. The post was cross listed to ARLIS-L and
MLA-L. As we go forward at Colby College, we are going to make sure we work
with our stakeholders (e.g. Writer's Center and ITS) and develop a phased in
approach that takes into account those faculty or students with current
projects in RefWorks. Assisting users to transfer their content would be a
crucial concern. If anyone has experience with that please feel free to add
to the conversation.

Margaret D. Ericson|Scholarly Resources and Services -- Arts
Librarian|Bixler Art and Music Library|Colby College Libraries|5662
Mayflower Hill|Waterville, Maine 04901|

(207) 859-5662

_______________________________________

Chart evaluating citation managers
<http://www.lib.berkeley.edu/PUBL/endnote.html>
http://www.lib.berkeley.edu/PUBL/endnote.html

Hi Margaret,

A couple of years ago we re-evaluated our citation management tool support.
Part of this evaluation involved a survey of students and faculty.

Based on the survey we decided to continue to support EndNote, because it is
so heavily used in the sciences, and we added Zotero support.  Since then,
interest in Zotero has increased and is heavily used by our Digital and
Computational Studies faculty.   We found that in addition to the standard
tools, students were using a variety of free sources and citation
generators; the most popular at the time was EasyBib.

Each semester we conduct workshops on Zotero, EndNote and an overview
workshop that includes EasyBib.  At the request of instructors, Zotero and
EndNote are taught to classes as part of the bibliographic instruction.  We
also schedule many one-on-one sessions.

I coordinate the citation management activities here and teach the overview
class, all the Zotero classes, and some of the EndNote classes.

Good luck with your decision.

Please do not hesitate to contact me if you have questions.

Karen Jung, Bowdoin College Libraries (Music Librarian)

Hi Margaret,

We support RefWorks and also teach Zotero.  Zotero is a good option for
people who don't have an institutional affiliation or want a self-standing
platform.  I use EndNote myself and like it, but Oberlin doesn't support it.

Good luck!!

-Kathy

Kathleen Abromeit

Public Services Librarian

Oberlin Conservatory Library

77 W. College St., Oberlin, OH   44074

phone:  440/775-5131

Although at Boulder we still support Refworks and Endnote, we are moving
more and more to Zotero and Mendeley, both of which are free. Our library is
currently considering cancelling our Refworks subscription.

Personally I feel that Zotero is the best choice for arts & humanities
disciplines. Zotero can support by far the most types of sources (including:
scores, recordings, images, archival materials, websites etc). It's open
source nature means that it is constantly improving and doesn't lock users
in. Zotero I also find is the best for harvesting citation information from
databases, catalogs, and the web. Mendeley is in my opinion best used if you
rely almost entirely on PDF's. I teach Zotero regularly, especially to our
grad students.

And that's my elevator pitch for Zotero. I'm happy to answer any Zotero
questions!

-Alex

Alexander Watkins

Assistant Professor / Art & Architecture Librarian

University of Colorado Boulder

----------------------------

Alex,

Will RefWorks users be able to transfer their existing folders to Zotero?

Thanks, Ruth Thomas, Mugar Library, Boston University

At Northeastern we are still supporting Refworks and EndNote as well, but we
have also begun teaching and supporting Zotero (up to a point, as we are
learning it ourselves). Same reasons as Alex gave below - it's free, and it
harvests info effectively from a wide variety of sources better than the
other tools. We aren't necessarily pushing it when we teach - yet, anyway -
but if people ask, we are mentioning it as a good option.

We're also finding that more of our users these days are wanting to share
reference libraries among multiple co-authors, sometimes at different
institutions, and Zotero seems to be far better for that, partly since all
co-authors may not have access to Refworks or EndNote through their
institutions, and partly because it is easy to make a group library that
everyone can easily add to and access (much easier than passing an EndNote
library file back and forth!). So we are definitely recommending Zotero in
those scenarios.

- Rebecca L. Bailey, Research & Instruction Librarian

Art + Design Collection Manager

Northeastern University, 270 SL

360 Huntington Ave., Boston, MA 02115

phone: 617.373.2344 | fax: 617.373.8681

email: [log in to unmask]

One of the reasons for moving away from Endnote and many others like it, is
there are now items which will do it for you, either web based, or in ones
own word processing software.

 <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_reference_management_software>
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_reference_management_software

A lot of this software is free and can reside on your own computer or can
be, or is, also connected with the Internet web, and can create the
correctly formatted item.

    Of course one has to choose which one provides best for students...each
with their own needs. One piece of software will not work for some, while it
will for others.

 <https://www.libraries.psu.edu/psul/lls/choose_citation_mgr.html>
https://www.libraries.psu.edu/psul/lls/choose_citation_mgr.html

Note-taker software and citation services also comes into play when using an
article or a web site; as some of these will create a citation for the site
or the article. Scribendi says, "

feel free to send your work, along with your desired style guide, to our
<http://www.scribendi.com/service/academic_proofreading>  academic
proofreaders and we will be happy to format and organize the citations for
you."

<http://www.scribendi.com/advice/a_review_of_free_citation_software.en.html>
http://www.scribendi.com/advice/a_review_of_free_citation_software.en.html

Lots of people are using Evernote now because many add-ons. One of the
neatest tricks is to take pictures of a note...maybe a note by someone else
with your phone or iPad, and send it to Evernote. Evernote's search engine
will find any word in that hand-written note and bring it up with other
notes with that word. Combine your notes with such online sites such as
Bibcite, EasyCite, Citation Machine, WriteCite, Citation Maker, etc. it
becomes a much easier process.

I don't think this really answers your question other than tell you that
yes...people are migrating away from a single well known citation software
simply because they find the others easier to use.

You can see what other universities are doing about citation management by
searching google with "music citation software" terms.

Hope this helps a little.

Paul Jackson, Trescott Research.