Dear colleagues,

I will be completing a long term archiving project (more than 5 years of
part-time work) at the end of June and wanted to reach out for advice. I am
a beginning archivist (currently in the MLIS program at San Jose State) and
well-versed in filemaker pro but not so much in migrating data. I've been
working independently from afar (I've been archiving in California and the
client is in Texas). The Marketing Communications department I'm working
with doesn't know much of anything about archiving and databases and
metadata so it's up to me to be the expert when I come into town for a week
to migrate the data on site.

The Filemaker database consists of roughly 12,000 records linked to
digitized tif image files. The client has a copy of all TIFs to date (some
remaining to be completed and will be sent ahead) and has them stored on
their server. I've done some test runs on exporting from filemaker to excel
(works fine) but not any tests (except initially about 5 years ago) on
importing into Portfolio. I've read extensively (online forums) about how
to do it and it will apparently be straight-forward. But I'm wondering if
anyone has done this before and if so, are there pitfalls to look out for?
Is it recommended that I download a trial version of Portfolio and check
the importing for possible snafus? It's likely that the version I can get
for free won't match what the client has, and since they are in Texas it's
not so easy to get access to their software even temporarily. I also have
some basic questions about who and how to direct before I get there so I
can hit the ground running. Should I consider advising the department to
simply purchase Filemaker Pro and keep the archival database (up to late
1980s) as a separate entity from their Extensis Portfolio database (late
1980s to present)? Or should I be teaching myself how to use Portfolio in
preparation of this migration? So many questions...

Thanks for any advice!
Sarah Hill, Archivist & MLIS student
Berkeley, CA