The 42nd Annual ARIS/NA Conference is almost upon us and your Conference Committee is  ready to greet you in Washington next week.  We hope you have planned your schedule (and your wardrobe!) for a packed and active five days in DC. While we work on a few last minute details, I wanted to give you some last minute things to remember.

Divide by Four: The District of Columbia is divided into quadrants. Addresses will always have the quadrant indicated after it - like 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue NW.  In general it means that there could be four K streets, four, 17th streets, etc. Make sure you know which quadrant you want when inquiring for directions. The central point for the 4 sections is the U.S. Capitol Building. An axis spreads towards the Lincoln Memorial on one side and RFK stadium on the other dividing the city into North and South. Parallel streets are numbered A, B, C…  in both directions in most neighborhoods you will be in.  In the other direction Capitol Street (North Capitol and then South Capitol) divides the city into East and West. Streets running parallel to it are number 1,2,3…. Confusion sets in with the radiating avenues, mostly named for States that often bisect circular  and square parks. If you fix this in your mind, reading a map will be less daunting and you will navigate the city like a resident.

Safety First: Washingtonians are notorious jaywalkers – everyone is in a hurry. With the proliferation of cyclists as well as heavy traffic, police are more aggressively ticketing pedestrian offenders of the law Be careful. My rule of thumb is to never cross a named  street (generally those diagonal State streets) against the light.

Society Circle: If you are a member of the Society Circle, I hope you will remember to bring the button you received last year in honor of the 10th anniversary of its founding. Current members have received an invitation to an event. If you have not and feel that there is an error, please contact Development Committee Chair, Ann Roll ([log in to unmask]).

The Reception at Dumbarton Oaks: This event is full. You must wear your conference badge which will have a special sticker affixed that will identify you to DO Security as  a participant. There are strict occupancy rules that will be enforced and we will have no sway with their Security should you forget your badge with its sticker. Please wear your badge at all times while on DO property.  We are keeping our fingers crossed for balmy weather. Large bags and satchels are not permitted on Dumbarton Oaks grounds. Please leave them at the hotel.

Convocation and Reception at the Library of Congress: We celebrate many achievements by our members at the Convocation… and we also have a great party. Plan on wearing something extra special or festive.  Again, it is best to leave large bags at the hotel. There is no staffed checkroom.  The Library of Congress is part of the U.S. Capitol Complex so security is tight. You must have a conference badge to enter the building.  If you are not coming by Metro with one of our tour shepherds, you will enter the Jefferson Building via the Carriage Entrance at Independence Avenue and First Street SE.

Silent Auction: it is still not too late to donate items to the Silent Auction. (http://www.pinterest.com/ArlisNa2014/silent-auction/) This is always a popular event every year and funds from the Silent Auction go to support the mission of the Society.

Local Guides: Chapter members have selected several neighborhoods that we think you should explore to get a idea of what it is like to live in the District (http://www.pinterest.com/arlisna2014/). DC has changed a lot since I first moved here in 1981 and the city truly has undergone a rebirth.  With a Metro stop in the hotel it is easy to navigate the city by subway or by foot.  If you check out the H Street NE guide (my hood) you will see that two restaurants are giving a 10% discounts if you show your conference badge.  The 14th St NW area has exploded into one of the new culinary hotspots. Barracks Row (8th Street SE) on Capitol Hill has likewise been transformed with great shops and restaurants.  To avoid a long wait for a table, see if you can reserve in advance.

Library Open Houses:  On Monday, a number of area libraries will be open to conference participants from 10am-1pm (please show your badge) so you can see some of the art research resources in DC. Check the blog for more details (http://arlisna2014.wordpress.com/) . Many museums and libraries are offering discounted or free admission, discount in the gift shop, and at the Smithsonian American Art Museum and National Portrait Gallery, you even get a discount in the café!

Wi-Fi: How do we live without it nowadays? Remember that you should have free Wi-Fi in your room at the Hyatt and in the conference halls. Be kind and silence your devices in sessions.

After writing these tips, I guess the one caveat is…always have your conference badge with you – either for admission or discounts. The Conference is less than a week away and I am excited to welcome you to Washington. See you soon!

Gregg

Gregory P. J. Most

President

Art Libraries Society of North America