It might be helpful to consult the National Association of Colleges and Employers Position Statements related to U.S. Internships and Unpaid Internships as well as the U.S. Department of Labor's Employment and Training Guidance Letter.

Is there an ARLIS/NA body vetting internships listed on the the ARLIS/NA Internship Roster?

From the Position Statement: U.S. Internships:

Criteria for an Experience to Be Defined as an Internship

To ensure that an experience—whether it is a traditional internship or one conducted remotely or virtually—is educational, and thus eligible to be considered a legitimate internship by the NACE definition, all the following criteria must be met:

  1. The experience must be an extension of the classroom: a learning experience that provides for applying the knowledge gained in the classroom. It must not be simply to advance the operations of the employer or be the work that a regular employee would routinely perform.
  2. The skills or knowledge learned must be transferable to other employment settings.
  3. The experience has a defined beginning and end, and a job description with desired qualifications.
  4. There are clearly defined learning objectives/goals related to the professional goals of the student’s academic coursework.
  5. There is supervision by a professional with expertise and educational and/or professional background in the field of the experience.
  6. There is routine feedback by the experienced supervisor.
  7. There are resources, equipment, and facilities provided by the host employer that support learning objectives/goals.

If these criteria are followed, it is the opinion of NACE that the experience can be considered a legitimate internship.

- See more at: http://www.naceweb.org/advocacy/position-statements/united-states-internships.aspx#sthash.KCMn1681.dpuf

Cheers,
/Elizabeth

Elizabeth Schaub | Director, Visual Resources Collection
School of Architecture
The University of Texas at Austin
310 Inner Campus Drive, B7500
Austin, Texas 78712-1009
512.471.5003 (vox) | 512.471.0716 (fax)
http://soa.utexas.edu/vrc

On Apr 23, 2014, at 1:18 PM, Anne Haas <[log in to unmask]>