Dear all,

As a recently graduated MLIS student and art librarian hopeful, I have
found unpaid internships the biggest obstacle for those trying to enter the
art librarianship field.  There is a scarcity of entry-level positions but
countless (although wonderful) unpaid internship opportunities.  It is
unfortunate that only those who are able to afford unpaid work will gain
experience in the field while highly qualified others are forced to seek
paid work elsewhere. I would like to ask that art libraries review their
compensation policies for interns and/or consider turning these into
entry-level roles.

Kind regards,
Janice Shapiro Hussain (MLIS, MLitt)