Hi All:

ACRL has put out a call for open feedback for the first draft (soon to be second) of its Framework for Information Literacy for Higher Education Standards. This is a process that will result in the updating of their 2000 Information Literacy Competency Standards for Higher Ed. http://www.ala.org/acrl/standards/informationliteracycompetency

Why I think it is important for ARLIS/NA members to address the contents of this draft is the lack of connection to Visual Literacy. It addresses “meta-literacy” but that may lump the visual in with technology driven literacies. Is understanding how to download an image in a given format the same as understanding how to look carefully at and study it?

If you are engaged with any sort of instruction at your institution, I would recommend you read and comment on this draft.

http://acrl.ala.org/ilstandards/

Feedback is due on April 15, 2014.

Best,

Sarah Falls

ARLIS/NA Education Liaison

The Ohio State University
Sarah Falls
Head, Fine Arts Library, Assistant Professor
University Libraries
040L Fine Arts Library, 1871 North High Street, Columbus, OH 43210
614-247-2345 Office
[log in to unmask]   library.osu.edu