Dear Collective Wisdom,

Many thanks for your advice about book dealers - I will post to the list asap.

Here is my question this time.

Last week the collection of African Art books returned to the library from the curator of African Art's office where they have been for about 30 years until last week.

Quite a few of them have a way of using DDC and cutter numbers that I have not seen before, and that runs counter to the rest of the collection.  I am not sure how to integrate these into the books on the shelves.  The shelf list cards that accompany the books do not seem to have a consistent way of dealing with these variations either.

I am quite happy with 709.0116 D43afg Or 732 B431 etc.  They are filed by DDC #, then the letter of the alphabet, then the numbers following the letter - digit by digit.

The difficulty arises when we have two letters of the alphabet immediately following the DDC number -

For example -

709.0116B
C432a
(the BC combination is unfamiliar)

or

721.465a-f

Are these shelved at the end of the run of the 709.0116 B's?  Or filed before the rest of the B's?  Are they interfiled in some other way?

If any of you are familiar with this style of generating cutter numbers, and how should they be interfiled with the rest of the books on the shelves, and in our shelf list please let me know.  Thanks, sac

Sheila A. Cork
Librarian
New Orleans Museum of Art
City Park